DIY Reupholstery Project: Louis XV Chair
It’s going to be no surprise I am fond of tackling projects regardless of my current skill set:) Part of the beauty of a ‘can-do’ attitude is learning as you go. Learning from both successes and mistakes. And this project was full of both!
I have a significantly deeper appreciation for those who reupholster for a living. I had no illusions this would be an easy project. That said, man am I glad I finished!
The chair came to me from my grandmother. I love the lines, but hated the fabric and honestly wasn’t in love with the wood either. So off I went to Home Depot a few Saturdays ago without anything in my brain other than, “the chair gets transformed this weekend.” And so, there I stood with Starbucks in hand staring at the wall of Rustoleum.
I was asked numerous times if I wanted any help finding anything and each time replied, “no thanks, I’m waiting for inspiration to hit.” Yes, I’m a crazy person. Or at least this is what two Home Depot employees must think:)
The Navy Blue gloss finally called out to me and then off I went to Fabricland to see what outdoor fabric was on sale. (I will happily spend a fortune on shoes, DIY projects not so much – although, there are always exceptions:)!) This green and blue was perfect, so home it came and the fun began.
First came removing all the original brass nails. GIANT PAIN in the A$$. And arm as a matter of fact. Hours this took. HOURS. Next, I removed all the fabric careful to keep it all so I could use it as my new fabric template. Fabric got cut and the chair padding got covered up so I could sand and paint.
A good sanding and cleaning, and out came the spray paint:) The blue is glorious! I then began the task of reupholstering. The arms were a bit of challenge, but the rest was pretty straightforward. The key was using the template and leaving myself some extra room.
Where things got tricky was the new brass nails. Those nails got a string of expletives hurled at them. And they deserved it. The chair even had a few weeks to think about its behaviour in the corner while I took a break.
And finally, I got back to it. I did make a concession to myself though…because I hadn’t been perfect with the nails around the base and arms…and knew there was NO WAY I could make it perfect on the back (the most noticeable part!), I cheated. I went back to Fabricland and got some blue chord trim and glue gunned it over the staples.
I am very pleased with the finished project, but am more pleased with what I’ve learned for the next time!:)