Easy Arm Knit Reading Blanket #12MonthsofDIY

There really is nothing nicer than a warm blanket, a hot cup of tea, and a good book especially on a cold winter day. One of my favourite places to curl up and read is in DH’s office, but it was always missing the perfect ‘chair blanket’. That problem has been solved thanks to our #12MonthsofDIY yarn sponsor, Lion Brand Yarns.

yarn-ball-square

I knew almost immediately once our December yarn theme was picked I would be attempting my first adventure in arm knitting. Arm knitting appeals to me mostly because of the quick nature of it – and my friends, quick it was! In one episode of Vampire Diaries (hello Damon!) this beautiful creation of warm coziness was made.

yarn-square

A quick YouTube search for ‘how to arm knit a blanket’ reveals a slew of videos showing you how to do it. After watching a few, I settled on this one to be my guide.

learning-to-arm-knit

I picked this super heavy weight wool yarn and using five skeins of wool yielded this great big blanket perfect for one book lover in a chair. The finished size is just about two feet wide by six feet long.

Here’s what one skein looks like fresh out of the packaging…on my head.

yarn-on-head

If you’ve been debating arm knitting, give it a shot! It was a simple project with great results.

big-blanket

blanket-w-tea-2

dog-blanket

blanket-w-tea

And speaking of great results, just check out the yarn-y goodness the #12MonthsofDIYSquad got up to:

12monthsofdiy-december-yarn-diy-craft-ideas

From the top left, they are:

Crochet Cowl from Brooklyn Berry Designs

DIY Chain Yarn Garland from Woman In Real Life

Easy Arm Knit Reading Blanket from Heather in Heels

Creative DIY Art Using Yarn from Love Create Celebrate

Easy DIY Faux Macrame with Wool from Vin’yet Etc.

DIY Pom Pom and Tassel Stockings and Tree Skirt from PMQ for Two

Free crochet coaster pattern for beginners from Sustain My Craft Habit

Beginner Crochet Infinity Scarf from Fresh Crush

DIY Yarn Wall Hanging from Lifeovereasy

How to Make an Arm Knit Blanket with a Fringe from The DIY Mommy

Make Embellished Yarn Wrapped Glass Bottle Vases from Time With Thea

Christmas Front Porch from Life Is A Party

Sponsored Post Disclosure: As I mentioned within the post, Lion Brand was kind enough to supply the yarn for this project, however I received no payment. The opinions and arm knitting talents are entirely my own.

1. by arielgarneau on December 8, 2016  9:43 am Reply

I love that the pooches got in on it too. Enjoy your winter with the blanket :)

• by Heather on December 8, 2016  10:11 am Reply

but of course:) they always think the camera is out just for them:)

2. by Sonja on December 8, 2016  12:34 pm Reply

I've been wanting to give this a try all year! Guess I'll have to move it to next year's goal. The blanket looks perfect hanging on your ladder.

• by Heather on December 8, 2016  4:31 pm Reply

thanks so much Sonja:) It really was SO simple - you'll have to give a go:) a great project for an evening at the cottage:)

3. by Joann @ Woman In Real Life on December 9, 2016  3:35 pm Reply

I actually have been thinking about arm knitting lately. I ordered a book. I'm glad to know that you enjoyed your first adventure into arm knitting. The blanket is lovely and I like your ideas for what to do with it - drink tea, read a book and watch Damon. ;) Jo

• by Heather on December 11, 2016  7:45 am Reply

Ohhhh! Can't wait to see what you create Jo!!

4. by Laurie @ VinYet Etc on December 11, 2016  9:48 am Reply

This yarn is so gorgeous isn't it?! I especially like your "hat"! hahaha you make me LOL <3 I was so close to arm knitting with mine... so so close and in all honesty I still may because I LOVE the way yours turned out, I can just imagine how cozy and luxurious this is!

• by Heather on December 12, 2016  10:21 am Reply

oh it is! so warm and cozy - it's officially my favourite blankey:)

5. by dani@lifeovereasy on December 11, 2016  5:48 pm Reply

That looks like the coziest blanket ever! I'll definitely have to put arm knitting on my list.

• by Heather on December 12, 2016  10:22 am Reply

definitely worth a shot - it's so simple!:)

6. by dannyellenicolle on December 11, 2016  7:04 pm Reply

Ok, I want to redo the yarn month and do exactly what you did! Love your blanket. I've been considering giving it a try too, and you're inspiring me. Great project.

• by Heather on December 12, 2016  10:22 am Reply

give it a shot:) it was so much easier than I expected (and I expected relatively easy), and the results blew me away:)!

7. by Ali (@alsmacki) on January 13, 2017  1:35 pm Reply

Hi Heather,

Wondering how many skeins you used for your blanket?

Thanks!
    Ali

• by Heather on January 13, 2017  1:44 pm Reply

Hi Ali - I used a total of five. It's a great size - but if you wanted it to be nice and big (and big enough for two people), I'd go with 10:)