DIY Floral and Paper Decoupage Mirror #12MonthsofDIY

This project was SUCH fun to make and horrible to photograph. But let’s start at the fun part shall we?:)

The theme for November’s #12MonthsofDIY is paper and immediately my brain went to a half finished roll of some very pretty wrapping paper I’ve had stashed in my hoard. You should SEE the amazing projects the rest of the gang created. (Full links at the bottom.)

wrapping paper used for decoupage girl power mirror

As it happens, my super cute niece just moved into a brand new big girl room and so I thought it would be fun to make her a pretty mirror for her pretty new room.

I started with the old bathroom mirror and gave it a few coats of PARA’s Canoeing Calm.

mirror-before

Next, I cut out the flowers from the wrapping paper and busted out the Modge Podge.

modge-podge-and-decoupage-paper-for-mirror

Once they were dry, the glue gun came out and some white carnations got added to some of the ‘blank’ spaces.

Finally, the paint brush came out and a few pink and purple hand painted flowers were added to give it a bit more texture.

para-paints-exotic-floral-pink-paint-hand-painted-mirror

And ta-da! A super girly floral and decoupage mirror. (with some chalkboard marker & #girlpower for extra fun)

pretty-flower-power-mirror

Getting a good photo of the finished project was definitely tricky…because you know, mirrors reflect things – like a lady in her sweatpants covered in paint standing behind her camera…for instance.

sugar-and-spice-and-a-blogg

Or a dog, a beautiful perfect dog, reflected in nature.

hermann-power

girl-power-mirror-w-flowers

I can’t wait to get this installed in my niece’s new room in a few weeks time!

Now it’s time to see the rest of the DIY PAPER project ideas
from my Canadian blogging friends.

12monthsofdiy-november-paper-diy-craft-ideas

From the top left, they are:

Free Love Peace Joy Christmas Printable from Sustain My

Quilled Paper Snowflake from Lifeovereasy

Funny Printable Gift Tags from Brooklyn Berry
Designs

DIY Linocut Print Kraft Paper Christmas Gift Wrap
from Woman In Real
Life

DIY Chalkboard Paper Christmas Art from Vin’yet Etc.

DIY Floral & Paper
Decoupage Girl Power Mirror
from Heather in Heels

1. by Laurie @ Vin'yet Etc. on November 16, 2016  7:26 am Reply

This mirror is so adorable and special, hand made for your darling Niece. You are such a wonderful Aunt, I am sure the #girlpower message will stay with her a lifetime, with fun messages on this fun mirror and from her shining example, you! xo

• by Heather on November 16, 2016  11:23 am Reply

you are too sweet!:) the ladies in our family are tough (sweet) cookies:)

2. by arielgarneau on November 16, 2016  8:55 am Reply

I'm a sucker for decoupage! Also #girlpower and #girlpower for life!!!

• by Heather on November 16, 2016  11:23 am Reply

I was totally inspired by your decoupage pumpkins!:)

3. by brooklynberrydesigns on November 16, 2016  11:53 am Reply

I think this is so cute! I love all the girly things, but the writting in chalk mirror takes the cake!

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  9:19 am Reply

I think so too!:) thanks so much Brooke:)

4. by Time With TheaThea on November 17, 2016  11:55 am Reply

So creative! I love how you took the old mirror to a whole new fun decorative level! So clever to use vibrant gift wrapping paper! I am working on updating a mirror right now for my daughter and I totally understand how difficult it is to photograph! The images of you and the dog in the reflections add a lovely personal touch!

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  9:18 am Reply

Thanks so much Thea:) our boys (the dogs) seem to weasel their way into every photo session - guess they know how handsome they are, ha!:)

5. by Sonja on November 17, 2016  3:05 pm Reply

Mirror pics are so tricky! I love this upcycled mirror idea and your GIRL POWER message is brilliant!

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  9:17 am Reply

Thanks so much Sonja:) We've got a troupe of awesome ladies in our family:)

6. by dannyellenicolle on November 17, 2016  8:25 pm Reply

So colourful and girlie, great makeover.

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  9:17 am Reply

thanks Dannyelle:)!:) it was a fun one to do:)

7. by joannmacdonald on November 18, 2016  11:43 am Reply

This is so sweet and I love that you added hand-painted touches! (I agree - it's so difficult to photograph mirrors or even reflective dishes!). Great project!

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  9:16 am Reply

Thanks so much Joann:) I can't wait to hang it!:)

8. by Clarissa on November 21, 2016  1:44 pm Reply

This is such an awesome DIY!! Photos of mirrors do totally suck, lol - but it turned out beautiful!

-Clarissa @ The View From Here

• by Heather on November 21, 2016  2:40 pm Reply

Thanks so much Clarissa:)