DIY Sunglasses Storage & Display Organizer #12MonthsofDIY

Take a look at this drawer and tell me you don’t one have one exactly like it in your house.

messy kitchen drawer with sunglasses

We all do. Ours is in the kitchen. Yours might be there too. Even if it’s not though, you know where it is. And just thinking about it is making your cringe, isn’t it?

Don’t fret my friends. I am here to help.

That drawer is now empty. All thanks to my handy dandy DIY Sunglasses storage and display organizer.

sunglasses-storage

Making THIS was SO FREAKIN’ EASY! A little bit of ribbon (the ‘theme’ for this month’s #12MonthsofDIY project) was the key to success for this one.

ribbon

Supplies needed:

– Foam core or stiff cardboard
– Fabric
– Fabric glue or spray adhesive
– Glue gun & glue
– Ribbon (assorted)
– Wood frame

The first step was to cut the foam core to the right size for the wood frame. Next I put some fabric glue down (you could also use spray adhesive) and put down a scrap of Tonic Living fabric leftover from recovering the dining room chairs & making the faux roman blinds.

back-of-foam-core

fabric-glue

After warming up my trusty glue gun, I put down three wide bands of ribbon. I didn’t measure, rather I just eyeballed it to make sure they were relatively evenly spaced and fit a pair of glasses.

measure-depth-with-glasses

ribbon-with-glue-gun

On one of the wider bands I layered another ribbon on top before adding in the final ribbon which would hold the glasses.

For the final ribbon, I tacked it at even intervals across the entire thing so I could store five or six pairs per row. The whole thing got tacked with glue at the back and presto, it was done!

ribbon-at-back

The whole thing took under thirty minutes and is already in regular use. I am loving seeing all the various glasses we’ve got so we can pick and choose, not worry about scratches in the drawer, or worse – forgetting about them!

tonic-living-fabric

diy-sunglasses-storage

….and while a bit blurry…too cute to not include. Hermann’s such a cool dude.

dog-in-sunglasses

It’s got a nice slim profile too!

slim-storage-solution

Such a fun and simple project and just one of the MANY fun things you can do with ribbon. Just check out what the awesome talent of #12MonthsofDIY made with ribbon this month. Oh, and don’t forget to join us on Instagram for our monthly challenge!

12monthsofdiy-october-ribbon-diy-craft-ideas-755722

From the top left, they are:

Upcycled Ribbon Cocktail Napkins from PMQ for Two

Faux Greenery Big Satin Bow Grapevine Wreath from Time With Thea

DIY String Art Using Ribbon from Vin’yet Etc.

Shabby Chic Christmas Wrapping Ideas from The DIY Mommy

Ribbon Tassel Keychain from Brooklyn Berry Designs

Make Your Own Advent Calendar with Ribbon from Sustain My Craft Habit

Modern Christmas Wreath from Love Create Celebrate

DIY Gift Tag Ribbon Garland Made With Old Christmas Cards from Woman In Real Life

Hand Painted Ribbon from Fresh Crush

DIY Sunglasses Storage & Display Organizer from Heather in Heels

DIY Ribbon Tassel Garland from Lifeovereasy

Ribbon Wall Hanging from Life Is A Party

1. by Laurie @ Vin'yet Etc. on October 20, 2016  10:18 am Reply

Haha, oh Hermmann, so handsome with those shades! I wish we even had a drawer, they are all over the place in my house, annoying! This is a fantastic idea, I must make one!

• by Heather on October 21, 2016  8:04 am Reply

:) he's such a looker:) Thanks!

2. by Clarissa on October 20, 2016  1:27 pm Reply

This turned out so great! Such a great way to keep them from getting scratched in a drawer!

-Clarissa @ The View From Here

• by Heather on October 21, 2016  8:03 am Reply

totally! I am so happy with how it turned out:)

3. by Joann @ Woman In Real Life on October 20, 2016  3:06 pm Reply

We have a lidded basket that looks just like your drawer did! This is a fabulous idea. It would be so great to have everybody's sunglasses organized and accessible in an attractive way like this.

• by Heather on October 21, 2016  8:03 am Reply

Thanks! we are totally loving it - it's been up two weeks now and I use it all the time! discovered glasses I forgot I owned!:)

4. by Time With TheaThea on October 22, 2016  12:08 am Reply

Heather, this is one of the most clever storage ideas I have come across. This is so brilliant! I have to share this on my Pinterest organizing boards!

• by Heather on October 22, 2016  10:24 pm Reply

Thank you SO MUCH Thea:) I am so pleased with how it turned out:) and now there's a whole new 'junk' drawer in the kitchen LOL

5. by dannyellenicolle on October 22, 2016  9:11 pm Reply

Great ribbon project. I'm jealous of all your sun glasses, since mine are prescription I only have one. Love the idea of this so they don't get scratched.

• by Heather on October 22, 2016  10:25 pm Reply

Thanks so much Dannyelle:) A lot of mine are Joe Fresh (just like half my clothes LOL) - so it's nice to have variety:)

6. by Ariel on October 28, 2016  4:57 pm Reply

Hermann is the coolest of dudes, except for Bruce. This is a great idea! Much more appropriate for me than a command centre or something. Great idea for showing off all my pretty ribbon!

• by Heather on October 30, 2016  2:02 pm Reply

Bruce and Hermann - the Derek & Hans of the dog-model world:)

7. by Jen @ Fresh Crush on October 28, 2016  5:24 pm Reply

Your puppy is the sweetest! And, love this idea near an entryway!

• by Heather on October 30, 2016  2:03 pm Reply

it is SO helpful! keeps the counter clean

8. by Sonja on November 1, 2016  12:57 pm Reply

What a great idea! I don't have nearly as many sunglasses as you but I could make a smaller version of it for the family. Loving the thought of being able to find them when we need them.

• by Heather on November 2, 2016  12:25 pm Reply

it's been so helpful keeping them all organized!:)

9. by dani@lifeovereasy on November 14, 2016  1:57 pm Reply

What a great idea! And I'd like to point out that you have room for more ;)

• by Heather on November 14, 2016  2:00 pm Reply

yahoo! I like the way you think!:)