Vintage Inspired DIY Vinyl Office Sign #12MonthsOfDIY

It’s been a full year now working in my home office slash DIY den and I am so in love with the space. It functions brilliantly for both. The light bright space makes is very conducive for my work and for my play, helps with better quality photos and gives me some room to make a mess if the project requires it:)

And when it came to my very first project for #12MonthsOfDIY I instantly knew what I wanted to do – vinyl office letters, reminiscent of a 1950s era newsroom for the transom above my office door.

Our project partner for this month was Expressions Vinyl, who were kind enough to send the vinyl required for fun I got up to:) I used a black indoor removable adhesive vinyl for this project and it was super simple to do.

First I measured the actual window size so I knew what I was working with. (And while I was up there, I cleaned it for good measure.)

Next, I used the handy grid on the back of the vinyl to mark the window size and allocate space for each letter.

Expressions Vinyl Office Sign first step

Then I mapped out each of the letters – making sure they were reversed so letter would go on the correct way. The F, F, I, and E were obviously super easy since they are straight lines. For the O and the C I used a jar lid to help ensure the curves were consistent.

Expressions Vinyl office sign letters with Heather In Heels

Each of the letters then got cut out and it was time to ‘stick ’em up!”

Heather In Heels makes office vinyl letters for window transom

And boy does it look fun!

Office sign on window transom Expressions Vinyl with Heather In Heels

It was simple to do and has a great impact. Plus, I love that I can just peel it off if I ever get sick of it or want to change it up. (Can you spy Barbie on my desk?)

Sign on office transom with Expressions Vinyl letters by Heather IN Heels

Plus, when I walk up the stairs I get to see it’s cuteness above the doggie cuteness which is just delightful:)

Cutest Dogs on the Planet interrupting a blog photo shoot

And check out all the amazing projects the other ladies got up to!

12MonthsofDIY-August-Vinyl-DIY-Craft-Ideas

From the top left, they are:

Number Subway Art from Love Create Celebrate

DIY Upcycled Faux Geometric Mosaic Tile Serving Tray Using Vinyl from Sustain My Craft Habit

Personalized Shoes from Brooklyn Berry Designs

Vinyl Otomi Chargers from PMQ for Two

DIY personalized throw pillow – home is where the heart is from Vin’yet Etc.

DIY Decorated Rain Barrel Using Fun Vibrant Colours from Time With Thea

Child’s Memory Box with Hand-Cut Vinyl Decals from Woman in Real Life

DIY Striped Carafe from Lifeovereasy

Life is a Party Napkins from Life is a Party

Vintage Inspired DIY Office Sign from Heather in Heels

Easy Strawberry Jam with Printable Vinyl Labels from The DIY Mommy

Custom Artwork Using Vinyl from Love Create Celebrate

1. by Ariel on August 17, 2016  7:39 am Reply

That photo of the boys, with their heads cocked, in the doorway; Love it. Great project! and kudos for doing something without the cutting machines :)

• by Heather on August 17, 2016  8:56 am Reply

Thanks!:) I see now how much fun one of those little gadgets could be - darn, adding it to the giant list of fun tools to add to my collection:)

2. by dannyellenicolle on August 17, 2016  2:54 pm Reply

Love those old vintage doors, great diy version!

• by Heather on August 17, 2016  3:26 pm Reply

Thanks so much!:)

3. by Laurie @ Vin'yet Etc. on August 17, 2016  4:21 pm Reply

First of all, so jealous of your transom! LOVE! haha, transom envy! Sounds like a bad rock band. My fave is the photo of the boys soooo cute! I love that you didn't need no stinken cutter and knocked this one outta the park, virtual high five girl! xo

• by Heather on August 17, 2016  5:06 pm Reply

thanks! I can TOTALLY see the value of a cutter for more detailed projects:) I too love the transoms - we have them above almost all the second floor doors:)

4. by dani@lifeovereasy on August 18, 2016  1:25 am Reply

Love how the letters look in your transom! It's such an easy upgrade too. Very clever!

• by Heather on August 18, 2016  8:54 am Reply

thanks so much Dani:) easy upgrade and an easy downgrade if I get sick of it:) love that it just pulls off!

5. by Lindi on August 18, 2016  4:18 pm Reply

This is awesome!! I LOVE how it turned out!! I wish I had one of those windows above my doorways :) This would look great on a wooden background too!

• by Heather on August 18, 2016  4:20 pm Reply

OHHHH on wood would look super lovely! thanks so much Lindi:)

6. by Time With Thea on August 18, 2016  9:29 pm Reply

This is brilliant Heather! I love your sign and I love how you created it. It looks fabulous on your indoor office window. My favourite image is the one with your two digs. It is soooo adorable!

• by Heather on August 19, 2016  8:16 am Reply

thanks so much Thea:) the boys always seem to perfectly compliment (and sometimes upstage) even the best of projects, LOL:) it's tough being so handsome:)

7. by Sonja @Sustainmycrafthabit on August 18, 2016  10:04 pm Reply

There's so much character in that door with the window over top. Your office sign looks perfect above the door, it's as if it was always there!

• by Heather on August 19, 2016  8:16 am Reply

Thanks so much Sonja:) I agree! it's the perfect spot and like it was meant to be:)

8. by Clarissa on August 21, 2016  10:45 am Reply

I love this! Definitely gives the doorway some character :) And your pups are so cute!!

-Clarissa @ The View From Here

• by Heather on August 21, 2016  11:09 am Reply

thanks so much Clarissa:)

9. by Joann @ Woman In Real Life on August 23, 2016  10:59 am Reply

I love the retro feel of this! And, like Laurie, I am jealous of the transom. Your house looks wonderful, as do your puppies. :) Jo

• by Heather on August 23, 2016  11:15 am Reply

thanks so much Jo!:) it was so simple yet makes a big (fun) difference:)

10. Pingback : Best of #12MonthsOfDIY – Lifeovereasy

11. Pingback : Heather In Heels » Taking Life One Fabulous Step at a Time#12MonthsofDIY: Favourites and Some Reflections ~ Heather In Heels

12. Pingback : That's a Wrap! 12 Months of DIY in Review - Fresh Crush