A bright white kitchen reveal with @PARAPaints

Yes. I painted my kitchen AGAIN.  Don’t judge me.  Here’s the thing….I loved that bright yellow.  I really did.  But it didn’t love me.  Or the cupboards.  Or the counter tops.

It’s a glorious bright, cheery colour.  It’s not the paint’s fault.  It’s mine.  When I picked the colour, I had delusions of grandeur.  If you know me, this shouldn’t come as a surprise.  Anyhoo….I picked the colour based on the longer term dream of painting all the cabinets and getting new counter tops.

Reality check Heather…as IF! Counter tops cost cash money, and painting an entire room of cupboards would be a nightmare.

Learn from my mistake.

Paint should compliment what you’ve got, not what what will be.  Paint is easy to change.

If you’re wondering….. I fall squarely into the “it’s only paint” camp.  #CaptainObviousHere

Here’s a photo of the yellow kitchen, click here to see all the before shots.

Heather in heels yellow kitchen

So, to work with what I’ve got, bring out the best in the counters & cupboards I picked a bright almost white, called Peaches ‘N Cream.  Which every time I say the name makes me start singing this delightful little diddy from the 90s. I am always amazed what gets stuck in my brain.

a bright white Peaches N Cream kitchen PARA Paints via @heathernheels

It’s pretty shocking to see what a dramatic change it makes.  Everything just works! The subtle peachy white just works so beautifully with the cabinets and highlights the creamy veins in the counter tops perfectly.

What made me super nervous about this project was how many coats it would take to cover the bright yellow.  I’ve covered up bright walls before and have always had to make return trips to the store to get more primer.  Turns out, I clearly wasn’t using the right primer!  The team at PARA recommended Para Paints Super Stick primer and let me tell you, that stuff COVERS.  If you are covering up bright walls, this should be on your list of supplies.  Two solid coats of this primer and two solid coats of Peaches ‘N Cream and the job was done.

bright white kitchen DIY with PARA paints via @heathernheels

It is so lovely and bright! It also really lets some of my favourite things, like our vintage skis, stand out.  I love those skis.

peaches n cream white by Para Paints via @heathernheels

And if you’ve got a keen eye, you’ll notice the FABULOUS kitchen island.  Yup, I painted it.  Read about that project here.  It’s the same green as the dining room chairs🙂

ps. don’t you just love the pretty forsythia? I picked it up, along with the tulips at my new favourite floral shop Snowberry Botanicals.  It is so pretty and full of inspiration! I popped some cute dollar store birds & butterflies (which I used here  and here before) on them, and it just screams spring!

Disclosure: As you know I am SO PLEASED to have been chosen as one of this year’s Para Paints #ParaBlogCrew members.  Para provides me with all the paint a girl can use, however I am not financially compensated for either my time or how many manicures I ruin:) And it’s totally worth it!:)

Other Para posts:

1. by Karen on May 6, 2015  7:08 am Reply

Heather,
    What a big change...and it totally works ! Fresh, clean, like linen on the old-fashioned clothesline. I love it ! Keep your ideas coming. They inspire me !
    Karen in Rochester, New York

• by Heather on May 6, 2015  7:11 am Reply

Thanks so much Karen!:) I'm with you, so fresh!!!

• by Theresa Dietrich on May 22, 2015  9:54 am Reply

Hi Heather,
      I stumbled upon your blog and was thrilled to read about how you painted your kitchen cupboards. I am just in the process of embarking on this type of a project so was pleased to see that you were happy with the results. If anything has changed in this regard (ie. chips to the cupboards that weren't initially there), please let me know before I do my whole kitchen! Fun to read your posts

Theresa Dietrich

• by Heather on May 22, 2015  1:48 pm Reply

Hi Theresa! So far so good!:) They was the awesome primer and letting each coat dry thoroughly before the next. good luck!

2. by Shelly Hill on May 6, 2015  8:50 am Reply

At first I wasn't a fan of the green. BUT when you see it all together it looks fantastic. Just painting the island adds huge impact. While I love colour, I am afraid of it, lol. Great job Heather.

• by Heather on May 6, 2015  12:34 pm Reply

Thanks Shelly:)! I'm totally with you, once the whole thing is put together it's complete and definitely does add big impact:)

3. by Debbie @ One Little Project on May 7, 2015  8:41 am Reply

It looks gorgeous! My kitchen is burgundy (Hello 1990's!) and we plan on painting it a brighter white too this summer. Does the white you chose have undertones? The name Peaches N Cream sounds like it would have some warm undertones but it's always so hard to tell in photos!.

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  8:48 am Reply

Hi Debbie:) thank you:) it has some lovely peachy - but almost pale pink undertones...in some light it looks like a barely there blush pink, others just a warm white. hope that helps! (I definitely recommend the super stick primer for covering the burgundy - it's amazing how well it did!)

4. by fynesdesigns on May 7, 2015  9:01 am Reply

beautiful transformation! So fresh and crisp looking

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  9:03 am Reply

thanks Virginia!

5. by diypassion on May 7, 2015  9:29 am Reply

Peaches'n'Cream DREAMS!! Your kitchen is killer, girl! So funny about the green because I'm considering an earthy green like that for a makeover in our master! Your island looks really stand-out. Congrats!

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  12:38 pm Reply

thanks! I am loving that green, so lovely and warm. good luck with the master!

6. by La Cuisine d'Helene on May 7, 2015  10:47 am Reply

We have to paint our kitchen in the fall and you give me amazing ideas. Thanks!

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  12:39 pm Reply

good luck Helene!

7. by Kristi on May 7, 2015  12:30 pm Reply

WOW! SUCH a transformation! I love how light and airy it looks now! Beautiful!

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  12:39 pm Reply

thanks so muchh Kristi! I'm with you, so airy - it's lovely:)

8. by Jennifer Flores (@ramblingreno) on May 7, 2015  12:55 pm Reply

It is only paint! Good call on changing it out. Before, I noticed the paint and now I notice the headboard detailing on your cabinetry, your open and airy floorplan, and your accessories (love the vintage skis!). It looks beautiful and I share your love for PARA Paint ;)

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  12:58 pm Reply

I SO totally agree with you Jen!! It's amazing how much more you can SEE the room rather than the walls just jumping out at you.

9. by Jo-Anna@APrettyLife on May 7, 2015  2:18 pm Reply

Oh wow that is an amazing transformation! I LOVE the white - what a gorgeous kitchen Heather!

• by Heather on May 7, 2015  2:37 pm Reply

thanks so much Jo-Anna:)

10. by Meagan on May 8, 2015  7:47 am Reply

Lovely! I am the same - think I want bright but in reality, it isn't always that practical long term. The new paint looks amazing and your kitchen is completely transformed. It looks bigger! And magazine ready :)

• by Heather on May 8, 2015  10:02 am Reply

Thanks so much Meagan! amazing how it looks bigger eh!? I am amazed actually.

11. by Tash @ The Dreamhouse Project on May 8, 2015  12:36 pm Reply

OMG Heather it is SO so lovely! The bright yellow was fun while it lasted, but the Peaches N Cream is just so elegant with everything else. You're totally right. It just all works. Great job!

• by Heather on May 8, 2015  1:32 pm Reply

Thanks so much Tash!:)

12. Pingback : How I painted my kitchen island | Heather In Heels

13. by Karen on May 9, 2015  9:19 am Reply

Heather:

My husband and I have long had a philosophy about home decorating/remodeling : "If it doesn't move, PAINT IT ! " I just read your post about the renovated television stand, and I think you must have this same thought process. Paint can give an "old girl " new life, and your projects certainly reflect that truism !

Karen in Rochester, NY

• by Heather on May 9, 2015  9:58 am Reply

a great philosophy! :)

• by Heather on May 14, 2015  1:37 pm Reply

thanks so much Heather:)

14. by Khadija on July 28, 2015  2:10 pm Reply

That's a lovely shade of white. I bet you'll repaint your green cabinets next, lol. Perhaps a lighter version of the purple-y color you put on your wood floors? You have such a lovely space, you can have so much fun with it. I can't wait to see what you do next. BTW, your yellow kitchen is what first brought me to your blog. :)

• by Heather on July 28, 2015  2:30 pm Reply

ha! too funny that the yellow kitchen brought you here and it's already been painted:)! I might have a painting addiction:) oh well! it's a fun one to have:) thanks so much for reading!:)

15. Pingback : Fiestaware inspired bar stools | Heather In Heels

16. Pingback : Kitchen revamp reveal: PARAPaints Plantain Chips PF52 | Heather In Heels

17. Pingback : How to refresh your home with paint | Heather In Heels